Thursday, February 6, 2014

Blog 14: Independent Component 1

A) I Daniel Song, affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 30 hours of work
B) My main sources were my P.T Georgine Hernandez and Dr. Meletus my surgeon.  Dr. Meletus explained to me the process of my surgery and what I should expect and do after the surgery.  Georgine has helped me with the condition of my knee.  She explained to me the purpose of the exercises that I do and tells me to go to my limit.
C)
D) Basically for my independent component I experienced the healing process after an ACL operation.  It is much different from reading about it.  I learned that after surgery your whole leg loses a lot of its original muscle mass. Rebuilding the muscle is very difficult especially with a reconstructed knee.  However before actually working the knee you have to strengthen the areas around the knee like the gluteus, hamstring and the back.  I learned the amount of time which it takes to get off the brace which standardly would be after a 3 weeks to a month.  Actually experiencing post op healing process helped me know that the main goal is to reduce the swelling and to bring some flexibility of the knee back.

Interpretive 
The progress of my knee supports my component. In the beginning after surgery I wasn't able to bend my knee but now I can go 125 degrees.  I'm able to walk without support and I have a better understanding and knowledge about ACL tears

Applied
The independent component really helped me with understanding the basis of my senior project. Actually experiencing what I had read made me understand better what exactly I was reading. I experienced the post op healing process and the exercises that ACL tear patients have to do.  Also because I am surround by professionals I received information that I didn't know before such as the most dangerous period of healing is from weeks 6-12 and the reasons for certain exercises


No comments:

Post a Comment